You all know that I’m in love with Seattle. Its concentration of Steampunk artists, musicians, and aficionados makes it easily the US’s Steampunk capital. SteamCon II, one of the most exciting Steampunk events out there, will be held there (which I am attending, and so should you). So it should be of little surprise that Seattle’s Steampunk events come up often in my search for gatherings.
Steampunk University, is a day long symposium on May 8th in Seattle (where else?) that discusses all things Steampunk. Everything from a general introduction to Steampunk, to fashion and self-defense will discussed in this warm-up to SteamCon II. Many of the same people who put on SteamCon are involved with the coordination of Steampunk University, so if you are considering going to SteamCon II but aren’t sold on it yet, want to learn more about Steampunk, or just want to mingle with your fellow Steampunks, this is an event not to be missed.
Here’s a listing of the “Courses” that will be offered at Steampunk University:
General Education & Arts Requirements (GEARs) – $10 for the day
- Introduction to Steampunk
- Steampunk in Seattle – True Grit History
- Steampunk Music – The Music of the Gears
- Thrift Store Shopping – The Fine Art of Finding
- How the West Was Worn – Fine Fashion on the Frontier
Practicums & Refined Techniques (PaRTs) – Additional fee
- Weapons & Hardware – Hands-on Mods Class (10:30am: $20)
- Walking Stick Self-Defense – Practical Defense with Cane or Parasol (10:30am: $20)
- Victorian Fisticuffs – Real-world Ruff & Tumble (1:30pm: $20)
- Steampunk Millinery – The Making & Trimming of 19th C. Hats (1:30pm: $45)
- Kindervaltzen – 19th Century Beginner’s Waltz (3:30pm: $7)
There will also be a Vendor’s Fair there if you are hoping find the perfect accessory to an outfit, or the outfit itself. You can register on the main website.
Steampunk University 2010 will be held at the Museum of History & Industry in Seattle, Washington. Doors open at 10am and the last class finishes at 5:30pm, just in time for the Steampunk Film Festival. All proceeds go to MOHAI’s “Save the Clock!” fund, so why not give to charity and simultaneously enjoy some Steampunk entertainment on May 8th?