As I know that some of my most loyal readers are from Minnesota, I wanted to highlight a convention going on in the Land of 10,000 Lakes that has some respectable Steampunk events on its schedule. CONvergence in Bloomington, MN is an annual science-fiction and fantasy convention that goes on for four days at the Sheraton Bloomington Hotel.
With four days of programing, you can bet that there’s going to be lots of exciting Steampunk stuff going on. I’m somewhat embarrassed to say that it has more workshops and explicitly Steampunk events than A-Kon! Here’s a list of the current Steampunk schedule.
- Thursday: 11:30 p.m. – The Seedy Side of Steampunk
- Friday: 1:00 p.m. – Steampunk Fashion Exposition
- Friday: 2:00 p.m. – Regency Dance
- Friday: 4 p.m. – 9 p.m. – Steam Century Mystery
- Friday: 7:00 p.m. – Steampunk on the Page
- Saturday: 12:00 p.m. – 5 p.m. – Steam Century Mystery
- Saturday: 5:00 p.m. – Steampunk
- Saturday: 11:30 p.m. – Horror at Cold Springs Release Party
- Sunday: 12:30 p.m. – Ooh Shiny! (Steampunk Crafts)
- Sunday: 2:00 p.m. – Steampunk Costuming
Also, Voltaire is going to be performing, and that show is one that should not be missed. Tickets can be bought at the door, but only weekend passes are available, which are $80 per adult. Please check out their website for a full scope of next weekend’s events, including the entire schedule online here, as well as many useful FAQs to get an idea for how things are run at Convergence.
If any of my dear friends from Minnesota decide to attend, I’d love to hear how it went!