Even though it’s more than half way through January, it’s better late than never to let you know that January is National Tea Month. There’s no drink that so pleases Steampunk sensibilities and inspires such reverential treatment. Professor Elemental wrote this anthem to our favorite beverage:
Tea has an interesting and quirky history. The Tea Drinker Blog has these interesting facts about tea.
- Tea is the second most widely consumed beverage in the world after water. Half of the world’s population drinks it either hot or cold.
- It is the most popular and cheapest beverage, next to water, in the world.
- Everyday, more than 2 billion men and women drink their favorite beverage, tea.
- 5 out of 6 North Americans drink tea
- The average North American consumes one cup of tea per day.
- Tea’s consumption will continue to increase as health-conscious consumers choose tea for its medicinal benefits.
- Tea is a rich source of antioxidants and flavonoids which are scientifically proven to aid in the prevention of heart disease and cancer.
- The antioxidants in two cups of black tea are equivalent to the antioxidants in one glass of red wine, seven glasses of orange juice, or 20 glasses of apple juice.
So this January, stay warm with a nice cuppa and enjoy National Tea Month! Yay!
Tea, though ridiculed by those who are naturally coarse in their nervous sensibilities will always be the favorite beverage of the intellectual.
-Thomas de Quincey